Week 2 Shopping list:
- 2lbs lean beef roast
- 2lbs chicken breast tenderloins
- 2lbs center cut pork chops
- 1lbs carrots
- 1lbs parsnips
- 1lbs brussel sprouts
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower rice
- Sesame oil
- Sesame Beef
Let’s go shopping!
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ($0.72)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar ($0.24)
- 2 cloves garlic ($0.16)
- 1/2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger ($0.10)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil ($0.12)
- 2 lbs beef roast ($8.14)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds ($0.08)
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a bowl and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Mince the garlic and grate the ginger.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and toasted sesame oil to the soy sauce mixture.
- Set the cooking liquid aside.
- Either slice or cube the beef roast. Place the beef roast in the slow cooker.
- Pour the cooking liquid over top and stir to combine.
- Place a lid on the slow cooker, and cook on HIGH for four hours or LOW for eight hours. After four hours on high or eight hours on low the beef should be very tender and should shred easily with a fork. If not, replace the lid and cook for 30-60 minutes more.
- Once the beef is tender, it’s time to thicken the sauce. Turn the heat off and garnish with the sesame seeds . Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice or as part of your favorite meal.
Sweet Spicy Chicken
- 1/4 cup brown sugar ($0.12)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp paprika ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- freshly cracked pepper ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins ($4.49)
- 1lbs brussel sprouts
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper (10-15 cranks of a pepper mill).
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the chicken, coating both sides liberally.
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Once hot, spray with olive oil. Add the coated chicken and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and the brown sugar has turned into a deep brown glaze. Serve hot.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add halved brussel sprouts.
- Once brussels have browned slightly, add a lid to the pan and continue to cook until tender.
Baked Pork Chops
- 2 lbs center cut chops
- Dry rub of your choice
- 1lb carrots
- 1lb parsnips
- Place chops on a cutting board and pat dry. Coat chops with rub of your choice.
- Place chops on a pan and bake for 20min in a 350 degree oven.
- Slice parsnips and carrots in “french fry” sized pieces and place on a metal baking sheet.
- Roast covered with pork chops at 350.
- Once chops are done, bring the oven temp to 425 degrees, remove carrots and parsnips cover and continue baking for another 15-20 min or until brown.